[arch-general] We have lost the desktop war. The reason? Windows 7.

Lars Tennstedt oss at larstennstedt.de
Mon Oct 26 10:55:38 EDT 2009

Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> On Monday 26 October 2009 19:25:09 Lars Tennstedt wrote:
>> I suggest the opposite in the facts of speed. My work's computer runs
>> with Windows XP and the hardware is faster than mine at home. But
>> Windows XP often stands still without a reason and takes ages to do
>> something. KDE 4.3 on my Arch Linux installation runs very well and
>> fast. I guess that it depends on the hardware you use.
>>
>> But I would say that the enterprise linux distributions should use KDE
>> 3.5 and GNOME 2.28 in the nearly future. In such an area with
>> installations on many machines things just have to work and Plasma and
>> GNOME Shell are too new.
>> If KDE is too slow for you, use Xfce or LXDE. I do not miss anything
>> under Xfce. And if you want to use Windows 7, use it. At the moment
>> linux has little percentage on the desktop market.
>
> I am writing this for sole reason that silence of a satisfied linux user
> should not be taken as absence of one.
>
> I am a happy arch and KDE user and use windows XP only as much forced by the
> work. I don't know about vista. Rarely seen it in action. These are my
> opinions and not conclusions. Just adding a data point here.
>
> - KDE is hugely productive. Multiple desktop(it already had for ages but
> mentioned for comparison with XP), plethora of applets(plasma widgets lately),
> kopete, kmail, akregator, knews, kate, konsole, k3b  and konqueror. It is so
> much ahead of windows that its not even the same race. Not to mention, each of
> these apps have innovation on its own that are hard to rival.
>
> - I was happy with KDE 3.5.x(on slack and arch) and upgraded to KDE4 just
> along the way. KDE4.1/4.2 were not upto the par but KDE4.3 is on par with
> KDE3.5.x for me.
>
> - I don't need any eye-candy on KDE and I have turned it off. Even though I
> have functioning nvidia drivers, I want my desktop fast, not animating and I
> am happy with that speed. Frankly I have not found any plasma widget worth
> keeping on desktop(I don't get to see the desktop anyways. Its always covered
> with some app). But I am a konsole geek. I could go alone with kate/konsole
> except email/IM/webbrowsing needs.
>
> - I couldn't change to GNOME. I hate it. File open dialog is lame compared to
> KDE. I don't know what virtues peole see in it. That is only one reason
> another is button order(third is GTK. C for desktop? Not for me and no mono
> please.). I could stand a half working KDE but not GNOME.
>
> - To people advocating lightweight options, Don't you lose what *KDE* offers?
> Instead of putting together a solution yourself, isn't it much better to use a
> solution that is put together already? Use xfce, throw in firefox and
> openoffice and its hardly any different from KDE+openoffice. Throw in
> thunderbird and pidgin and one begins to wonder whats the point? Is the
> dekstop really that lean now? Besides, throw in one KDE app. because its
> irresistible(kmail, kopete, k3b?) and again, one might as well run KDE.

> [...]

I have to agree. The time using Debian and Arch was and is a pleasure
for me. At this point huge thanks to the Arch developers. Compared to my
Windows XP area, I had much less issues to solve. I do not hate Windows
XP. My girlfriend use Windows XP and my father either because they know
where and when to click. But for me the war is also over. I will never

Bye
Lars