[arch-general] We have lost the desktop war. The reason? Windows 7.

RedShift redshift at pandora.be
Mon Oct 26 12:22:10 EDT 2009

Aaron Griffin wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 9:01 AM,  <hollunder at gmx.at> wrote:
>> Conclusion:
>> Yeah, great, install xorg for a minimal graphical desktop, what you get
>> is console-kit, for a minor feature in a monster DE.
>> When will "Desktop" people start to see that they are being intrusive?
>> They live in their own small bubble called GNOME or KDE and can't ever
>> imagine anyone not wanting to use this.
>> Sorry for this "slightly" off topic rant, but it annoys me on a regular
>> basis when I see applications depend on gnome or kde, mostly for some
>> stupid reason called 'integration' which really isn't of much use in
>> the specific DE they integrate with and a hindrance to everyone who's
>> not running exactly that DE.
>>
>> So please, next time you call something integration, think beyond the
>> bubble. In our little Linux world with limited developer time we need
>> real integration, real solutions and still
>> freedom of choice.
>
> You read my mind. I was debating adding a little rant here about the
> necessity of hal, consolekit, policykit, devicekit,
> whatever-the-hellkit to do the stupidest things. It's real
> counter-intuitive. And don't even get me started about linux audio -
> apparently the core market for linux audio developers are people doing
> live, realtime, studio recordings with a line-in jack on a laptop[1] -
> not the people who just want their machine to beep at them.
>
> I absolutely positively hate that all this shit is getting integrated
> into the lower level portions of the operating environment. The
> xorg/hal coupling is gross and disgusting if you don't want or need
> hal. Soon enough, I'll bet udev and devicekit are going to require
> each other. When this starts to happen, it's time to stop using this
> crap
>
> 1: Paraphrasing cactus here

I like where this is going, although I think d-bus, hal, etc... are good initiatives they are missing transparency and maybe their implementation is just bad. I don't see thing stopping to work not having d-bus run in the background. Definately not liking the fact that I have to configure my keyboard in some obscure XML file now.

As a sidenote, I have always wondered why I have 64 threads of console-kit-daemon doing nothing. Is there a way to limit this amount?

Glenn