[arch-general] We have lost the desktop war. The reason? Windows 7.

Piyush P Kurur ppk at cse.iitk.ac.in
Mon Oct 26 13:07:55 EDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 10:40:44AM -0500, Aaron Griffin wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 9:01 AM,  <hollunder at gmx.at> wrote:

[snip]

> > So please, next time you call something integration, think beyond the
> > bubble. In our little Linux world with limited developer time we need
> > real integration, real solutions and still
> > freedom of choice.
>
> You read my mind.

Mine too. I got burnt when after one of the xorg updates few months
ago, the mouse and keyboard stopped working. The culprit, xorg
unloading the mouse and keyboard drivers and waiting for hal to send
some signals to load the appropriate drivers. This I think was
ridiculous. Many a time I use X without any windomanager whatsoever
mainly for display boards and such stuff. I dont need any PnP here.

Regards

ppk