[arch-general] split packages documentation

Henning Garus henning.garus at googlemail.com
Sat Sep 5 10:03:19 EDT 2009

On Sat, Sep 05, 2009 at 02:46:49PM +0200, Ali H. Caliskan wrote:
> Well I was referring to two packages with one PGKBUILD. Jan de Groot has
> come closer to that idea, see [1]. Although I think it shoule be a single
> pkgname field with pkg1, pkg1 names, and single pkgver, with pkgver1,
> pkgver2 etc. while  the build section should have pkg1 pkg2, pkg3 etc.

I don't really understand what you are referring to, are you proposing a
different format for PKGBUILDS for splitpkgs? If so, an example and a list of
advantages compared to the momentary format would go a long way.

> Observe that pkg1 is the head section, while pkg2, pkg3 is subsection of the
> build.

Not really, first the pkgname array and common variables are defined, then
follows the build function and a package_$pkgname function for each package.

>I've implemented this concept with python, and it works.

Please elaborate. What exactly have you implemented? And what does this
implementation do, that makepkg 3.3 does not?

> 1:
> http://repos.archlinux.org/viewvc.cgi/mesa/repos/extra-x86_64/PKGBUILD?revision=51142&view=markup

PS: Please do not top-post.