[arch-general] split packages documentation

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 16:29:26 EDT 2009

I did not understand 90% of what Ali H. Caliskan said, and I cannot
understand how someone can keep top-posting after 3 different people
asked him to comply to the bottom-posting rule, but well...

I just wanted to say that the example he gave reminded me of
frugalware's handling of split packages :
http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2008-June/006778.html

I am sorry I did not realize that 1 year earlier, but I much prefer
their solution (or probably a mix between both), because it allows
easy parsing of pkgbuilds using bash.

The current format is quite hard (and inefficient) to parse :
http://projects.archlinux.org/?p=dbscripts.git;a=commitdiff;h=d455a0b2cd72cd08b7b6cde878a29841f77a041e#patch2

However the current format looks much nicer and readable, and this
might be a more important aspect. And more importantly, it's already
in use and working :)