[arch-general] Netbook recommendations

Michael Towers larch42 at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 29 01:59:04 EDT 2009

I have a a white eee 1005HA-M (matt screen, missing one or two things,
e.g. I think it has no bluetooth, which I don't need anyway). It has
some good points and some not so good, though I haven't tested
everything. Arch installed with no problems at all, except that the
ethernet is a bit fiddly - it needs kernel 2.6.31 and it seemed to
deactivate itself with the previous buggy drivers, so that the chip
wasn't even recognized any more. I haven't tested wireless, but I
think that should be no problem.
The display seems to 'jump' a bit occasionally (a sort of flash), but
it is intel and I hope it will improve ... There are otherwise no
problems with the graphics. On heavy load the fan can get quite loud,
and I'm not sure how reliably it slows down when the load reduces.
Otherwise look and feel is good, the keyboard is fine. Battery life is
good. Seems to be good value for the price, on the whole.