[arch-general] Pacman problem. "error writing to file" "bad address"

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Tue Sep 29 15:01:40 EDT 2009

On Tuesday 29 September 2009 19:26, Xavier wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 6:13 PM, Nigel Henry
>
> <cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr> wrote:
> > I had problems with ocaml yesterday. After the machine locked up during
> > the updates, I did a hard reset, and ran pacman -Su again. It continued
> > downloading ocaml, but when all the updates were downloaded, it failed to
> > install them, claiming that ocaml was corrupted. I removed the corrupted
> > ocaml as requested, and as I'm on dialup and didn't want to download 38MB
> > of ocaml again last night, I temporarily added an IgnorePkg line for it.
> >
> > Ran pacman -Su again, and all the updates apart from ocaml, and also
> > gnupg2, which couldn't be found, were installed.
> >
> > Today I went to install the ocaml update, having removed it from the
> > IgnorePkg line. It starts to download, but then throws an error as below.
> >
> > error:  error writing to file '/var/cache/pacman/pkg/ocaml....'  :Bad
> > address
> >
> > Harddrive partition is redlining, and the partly downloaded ocaml file
> > shows as 2GB size.
> >
> > Any ideas on a fix for this problem?
> >
> > As an aside, pacman was updated, but not before the other updates, in
> > case that is what has caused the problem.
> >
> > Nigel.
>
> See http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/16359

Thanks for the link to the bug.

Just after I posted the problem, I tried reverting to the earlier pacman
package "pacman-3.3.0-3-i686.pkg.tar.gz" , which works with no problems. Then
upgraded to pacman-3.3.1-1, where the problem returned.

Currently I'm running the earlier version, and have temporarily added pacman
to the IgnorePkg list.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Nigel.