[arch-general] Arch Linux Release Question

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Wed Apr 7 13:51:54 EDT 2010

On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 12:44:22 -0500, "David C. Rankin"
<drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:
> ... It doesn't matter whether you use
> the
> latest install set or the one from 3 'releases' back, after the first
> update,
> you will have the exact same, current Arch Linux we all have.

It's not entirely true. You always should install using the latest iso and
it is also important to release new isos regularly. Due to our continuous
updates and changes old isos and especially netinstall are broken. For
example you cannot run a netinstall with an old iso (without updating it
first) due to the switch to xz compressed packages.