[arch-general] libkrb5.so.25 error - was (Re: ImportError: libssl.so.0.9.8: -- do I just rebuild the AUR packages?)

dave reisner d at falconindy.com
Sat Apr 17 14:14:51 EDT 2010

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 2:05 PM, David C. Rankin <
drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:

>        Thank you for your help. I solved the libssl issue by installing
> libssl-compatibility from AUR. However -- that brought to light another
> problem
> brought on by recent updates that moved libssl.so.25 to libssl.so.26. I've
> checked AUR and there isn't a compatibility package. The error received
> from the
> createrepo app was:
>
> [12:57 nirvana:/usr/lib] # createrepo -h
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/usr/share/createrepo/genpkgmetadata.py", line 26, in <module>
>    import rpm
>  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/rpm/__init__.py", line 7, in
> <module>
>    from _rpm import *
> ImportError: libkrb5.so.25: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory
>
>        Crossing my fingers that the libraries would be backwards compatible
> for the
> purposes of 'createrepo', I just did:
>
>  ln -s libkrb5.so.26 libkrb5.so.25
>
> which did work with createrepo, but this feels like a cluge. In this
> situation,
> what is the proper solution? 'createrepo' is a python package (python is a
> snake
> to me), so do we grep on libkrb5.so.25 and change to 26? Do we issue a
> report or
> request for some type of compatibility package for libkrb5? Or did we just
> develop a compatibility package with the symlink?

Symlinking so's is unadvisable as it's bound to get you in trouble sooner or
later -- clearly in your case it's sooner.

The only reason I can think of to install a compatibility package is one of
two reasons:

1) The package is a closed source binary and you're waiting for upstream to
rebuild it for you.
2) The package won't build against the new .so and you're waiting for a
patch from upstream.

Is one of these stopping you from rebuilding the package rather than
applying all manner of bandaids?