[arch-general] HAL dependencies

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Wed Apr 21 16:36:59 CEST 2010

On Sun, 2010-04-18 at 01:33 +0200, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Am 18.04.2010 01:22, schrieb Rob Bean:
> > It looks like there are only 3: gnome-vfs,
> gstreamer0.10-good-plugins, and
> > vlc.  I can use ABS to rebuild these without HAL, but I'm concerned
> that
> > these packages may actually need it.
>
> From short discussions with Jan, I determined that the HAL dependency
> can probably be safely removed from all of those.

gstreamer0.10-good-plugins has been fixed in SVN. I might actually add
pulseaudio support to that soon though, so a final rebuild can take
time.
vlc, no idea about that, but I guess it can do without automatic media
detection.
gnome-vfs will keep the hal dependency. It's a deprecated library for
deprecated applications. Losing removable media support for deprecated
applications is not an option to me. The GNOME goal is to get rid of
gnome-vfs, so after a while this library will be gone from your system
completely.
Note that though you still have hal installed on your system, it's not
needed to start it if you don't (want to) use it. I stopped hal on all
my systems as I don't use it anymore.