[arch-general] gstreamer0.10-good-plugins need a whole load of GNOME stuff?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Apr 21 16:51:16 CEST 2010

On 04/21/2010 03:28 AM, Ananda Samaddar wrote:

> Yes it was an unfortunate choice of words.  I don't think GNOME is crap,
> I'm just not enamoured with the direction it seems to be headed in,
> i.e. GNOME Shell.  I can do without shiny stuff like that.  Previous to
> my switching to XFCE I was a GNOME user for a very long time.  I reckon
> GNOME 3.0 will be just as much of a PR nightmare as KDE4 was and
> continues to be.
>
> It frustrates me that core technologies can depend on a long
> list of dependencies for another desktop environment.  Try installing
> gstreamer0.10-plugins-good if you're not running GNOME and you'll see
> what I mean.
>
> Ananda

That I agree with 100%.

	I've moved all my boxes to Arch except my laptops (and a couple of stragglers)
which are still running suse 11.0 (due to need of ATI fglrx 8.593 [8-9
release]). On suse I have the old gnome 2.22, on Arch we have gnome 2.30. There
are a few quirks with gnome 2.22, but it is solid. At least configuring gnome
like I do, I haven't noticed too much different in 2.30. I hope it stays that
way. Nobody wants to see a kde4'ing of gnome :p (yes, I guess kde4ing is a
lasting verb now...)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC