[arch-general] gstreamer0.10-good-plugins need a whole load of GNOME stuff?

Nathan Wayde kumyco at konnichi.com
Wed Apr 21 14:30:26 CEST 2010

On 21/04/10 10:52, Jan de Groot wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 10:35 +0100, Nathan Wayde wrote:
>> Do you mind listing these Gnome dependencies, or at least your
>> proposed
>> PKGBUILD?
>> I've looked at this and I can see only 2 (gconf and libsoup-gnome).
>> Ofcourse that is based on the assumption that the pacma dependencies
>> are
>> correct(e.g good-plugins depends on x,y,z but only x is listed
>> because
>> it also depends only y and z).
>
> The GNOME dependencies involved:
> libsoup-gnome
> libgnome-keyring
> (gnome-keyring)
> gconf
> orbit2
> libidl2
>
> I don't consider this as a big problem, and I closed bugs about it
> before. The libsoup-gnome library adds proxy lookup and password lookup
> functionality to libsoup. GStreamer can work without it, but it will
> lose quite some functionality without it.
> The gconf*sink elements in GStreamer need gconf. Without this, there's
> no way to configure the audio and video element in a central place. Some
> applications even ask for this specifically.
> I listed the gnome-keyring dependency as optional, as it's a fake
> dependency added to libgnome-keyring. libgnome-keyring needs a keyring
> daemon, AFAIK the next version of KDE will also get one. In the future,
> GNOME applications using libgnome-keyring can read passwords from KDE
> password storage.
> Libidl2 isn't a big issue either, as firefox already depends on it. I
> haven't seen much Arch Linux desktop installations without firefox.
>
> Note that the hal plugin will get removed soon. The only application I
> know that could have benefit from this plugin is cheese, but that has
> been ported to libgudev since 2.30.0.

I'm guessing that's still only 2 *direct* dependencies and the number of
indirect dependencies is surprisingly low from what it sounded like. I
guess I jut don't see the big deal(I prefer Gnome, but prefer
programming in Qt more than Gtk et al.). This is somewhat similar to
people raging that won't use xyz because it depends on Gnome, when the
only dependency is glib(which is prolly on their system through Qt anyway).