[arch-general] gstreamer0.10-good-plugins need a whole load of GNOME stuff?

Philipp hollunder at lavabit.com
Thu Apr 22 00:37:27 CEST 2010

Excerpts from Ng Oon-Ee's message of 2010-04-22 00:22:24 +0200:
> On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 22:04 +0200, fons at kokkinizita.net wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 10:59:17PM +0800, Ng Oon-Ee wrote:
> >
> > > I appreciate the desire for a minimal system. What I don't understand is
> > > the vilifying of packages just because they're part of a standard Gnome
> > > install.
> >
> > That's not the point. According to the definition on
> > the gstreamer website
> >
> > "GStreamer is a library for constructing graphs of  media-handling
> >  components. The applications it supports range from simple Ogg/Vorbis
> >  playback, audio/video streaming to complex audio (mixing) and video
> >  (non-linear editing) processing."
> >
> > Fine. Potentially very interesting and useful.
> >
> > But if it depends on things that have *nothing at all*
> > to do with the claimed application domain - security
> > subsystems (keyrings) and configuration programs for
> > a specific desktop (gconf) that, at least in my world,
> > is a sign of *crappy design*. Which seems to invade
> > almost everything Gnome. One is almost tempted to believe
> > that introducing irrelevant dependencies is the essence
> > of the game.
> >
> > Ciao,
> >
> Would you prefer the developer reimplement security-authorization and a
> configuration parser, then? Its not even as if gconf and its editor
> aren't separated into different packages.

I don't know what I need security authorization ind a multimedia backend
for. I don't know whether gconf is usable without its editor and it doesn't
matter really since it stays a gnome thing. Yes, I rather have an
application specific config than a DE specific config system.