[arch-general] Latest NVIDIA en kernel update

Thomas Jost schnouki at schnouki.net
Fri Apr 23 16:27:20 CEST 2010

On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 16:00:08 +0200, Manne Merak <mannemerak at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 04/23/2010 03:35 PM, Patrick Baumgart wrote:
> I did an update and it was not that bad - small performance hit - but
> not big enough to go back to Compiz.
> Wow, 45000fps, what card are you using?  I get 1800fps with my 8600M GT
> and Kwin effects enabled, my Dell is getting old!

glxgears is a very bad benchmark, so the framerate one can get with it
is irrelevant [1]. I have ~3800 fps with it on my Quadro 14OM, yet games
work perfectly fine and it can decode full HD videos thanks to VDPAU.

Patrick, concerning your driver problem, you may want to have a look at
this: http://bugs.gentoo.org/301318
They have a patch (from the nvnews.net forum) which allows the 190.53
driver to be compiled against a 2.6.33 kernel.

Regards

[1] http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Glxgears_is_not_a_Benchmark

--
Thomas/Schnouki