[arch-general] 4k sector drives

Marti Raudsepp marti at juffo.org
Tue Apr 27 03:22:29 CEST 2010

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 3:52 AM, Caleb Cushing <xenoterracide at gmail.com> wrote:
> has anyone installed arch on one of these drives? thinking about
> buying a pair and running them mirrored... but not sure if everything
> will be working optimal. note: since I'll have to migrate off an
> existing drive I can use the tools installed on that to partition it
> first. Is there anything I should know first?

I had one of these disks a few months ago and found that the only way
I could get my partitions truly aligned was using parted and
calculating the sector numbers/offsets MANUALLY (WTF!)

Every other Linux partitioning tool aligns partitions to the 63-sector
boundary and there's no way to avoid that.

However, this WD disk crashed after barely 3 days of operation and I
replaced it with a normal 512-byte sector Seagate.

See also: http://lwn.net/Articles/322777/

Regards,
Marti