[arch-general] Better NILFS2 Support

Tobias Powalowski t.powa at gmx.de
Sun Aug 1 11:30:22 EDT 2010

Am Sonntag 01 August 2010 schrieb Dieter Plaetinck:
> On Sun, 1 Aug 2010
16:46:33 +0200

> Heiko Baums <lists at baums-on-web.de> wrote:
> > I don't
think that nilfs-utils should be moved to the base group. I
> > agree with
moving it to [core] but not to base, because base is
> > assumed to be
installed on every computer and packages in the base
> > group are usually
not listed in the depends array of a PKGBUILD.

> > On the contrary I
think there could be some other file system tools
> > like jfsutils, lvm2
and xfsprogs be removed from the base group (not
> > from [core]).

think this explanation makes sense.  I just found this back:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/User:Allan/Base_Cleanup
> So indeed, it
seems like the goal is to remove all non-essential things
> (reiserfs, xfs,
..) from base.

> > They probably should be automatically installed if a
partition is
> > formatted with one of these filesystems by AIF. But usually
people who
> > are using these filesystems know what they are doing and know
that
> > they have to select these packages for installation.
>
> Actually
it's fairly trivial to "preselect" those packagas based on the
> filesystems
used during the filesystem step.  I believe some of it is
> already
implemented in aif.

> Dieter
My 2 cents about nilfs,
I have added it to
archboot environment some time ago.
To integrate it into an installer it is
plain not usable, because the kernel doesn't know it.
All usual filesystem
utilities like blkid etc. don't recognize it.
Sure it will be an optional
filesystem in the future, but it should be supported by the kernel and major
filesystem and core utiltities in a sane way.

greetings
tpowa
--
Tobias