[arch-general] Better NILFS2 Support

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Sun Aug 1 10:58:00 EDT 2010

On Sun, 1 Aug 2010 16:46:33 +0200
Heiko Baums <lists at baums-on-web.de> wrote:

> I don't think that nilfs-utils should be moved to the base group. I
> agree with moving it to [core] but not to base, because base is
> assumed to be installed on every computer and packages in the base
> group are usually not listed in the depends array of a PKGBUILD.
>
> On the contrary I think there could be some other file system tools
> like jfsutils, lvm2 and xfsprogs be removed from the base group (not
> from [core]).

I think this explanation makes sense.  I just found this back:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/User:Allan/Base_Cleanup
So indeed, it seems like the goal is to remove all non-essential things
(reiserfs, xfs, ..) from base.

> They probably should be automatically installed if a partition is
> formatted with one of these filesystems by AIF. But usually people who
> are using these filesystems know what they are doing and know that
> they have to select these packages for installation.

Actually it's fairly trivial to "preselect" those packagas based on the
filesystems used during the filesystem step.  I believe some of it is
already implemented in aif.

Dieter