[arch-general] New Xorg & nv / nouveau

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Sun Aug 1 16:24:19 EDT 2010

Hello all,

The system I reported on in my previous post does seem to work,
but graphical performance is *very* slow.

(xorg 1.8, nv, nvidia Quadro FX 770M)

This problem is obvious for xterm (for the first time in years
I had to revert to a native X font to get any speed) and also
quite evident in Emacs.

Just displaying 4 audio level bargraph meters (using XPutImage to
repaint the part that has changed) raises the CPU usage for X from
almost nothing to 85%. To compare, an 8 years old machine also
running Arch, xorg 1.7 and nv has no problem at all doing 200 of
the same meters, barely reaching 10% CPU usage. As do a number of
other machines, all running Arch and using nv or nouveau.

I've read I all could find,  tried everything I could imagine,
but so far there have not found any solution.

There is something wrong, and it starts with xorg 1.8 refusing
to use nouveau - even if this module is loaded X insists on
using its own driver. Before I installed nv it used vesa, which
failed to use the display at its native resolution.

All of this with the standard install of xorg, and just two
files in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d, one fairly general and the
other preventing a Thinkpad's attitide sensors to be seen
as a mouse.

Ciao,

--
FA