[arch-general] "community/jre" and "community/jdk" packages are out of date - PKGBUILD proposal

ALAUX, Guillaume guillaume at alaux.net
Sun Aug 1 17:32:35 EDT 2010

On 31 July 2010 12:37, ALAUX, Guillaume <guillaume at alaux.net> wrote:

> On 31 July 2010 12:23, Ionuț Bîru <ibiru at archlinux.org> wrote:
>
>> On 07/31/2010 01:08 PM, ALAUX, Guillaume wrote:

>>> The 5.5.30 yes.
>>>
>>> Well actually the update is hardly just a version change. You can already
>>> get
>>> it here and use
>>> it<http://github.com/galaux/abs/blob/master/tomcat_current/PKGBUILD>
>>> .
>>>

>> done
>>
>>  I would also like to propose this "new" package
>>> "tomcat-admin"<
>>> http://github.com/galaux/abs/tree/master/tomcat_current-admin>that
>>>
>>> provides the administration webapp. These have been tested on i686 and
>>> x64.
>>>

>> upload it in aur and if it gets enough votes maybe somebody will move it
>> into community.
>>

>> --
>> Ionuț
>>

> > upload it in aur and if it gets enough votes maybe somebody will move it
> into community.
> Hum... I should have thought about that ! There it is<http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=39306>
> .
>
> Thanks.

Hi Ionut, Hi everyone,

As said earlier, I have some changes to the tomcat package that I would like
to share:
* Fixed the "userdel tomcat" in tomcat.install that did not delete the
user/group
* Changed $arch from ('i686' 'x86_64') to ('any') (Java is supposed to be
cross-platform right?)
* Removed "--with-java=/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk" from ./configure options
 - ./configure uses the $JAVA_HOME variable automatically so there shouldn't
be any need for that option
- $JAVA_HOME needs to be set to the path of JVM we build against but this is
a Java pre-requisite anyway
 - This allows Tomcat to be built and run from virtually any JVM (tested
with openjdk6 and jdk/jre from Sun/Oracle)
* Core files moved from /opt/tomcat to /usr/share/tomcat (Java Packaging
Guidelines<http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Java_Package_Guidelines#Arch_Java_Packaging>
)
* Log file moved from /opt/tomcat/logs/catalina.log to /var/log/tomcat/
* Conf files moved from /opt/tomcat/conf to /etc/tomcat
* Webapps folders moved from /opt/tomcat/webapps to /srv/http/tomcat/webapps
* Cleaned startup script /etc/rc.d/tomcat to use variables from
/etc/conf.d/tomcat

I have tested these changes on i686 and x86_64 and with openjdk6 and
jdk/jre: that installs, runs and web applications work to. Source package
enclosed.

What do you think? Do some of these changes look useful to you?

--
Guillaume