[arch-general] arch-dev-public misleading

Firmicus Firmicus at gmx.net
Mon Aug 2 10:50:33 EDT 2010

  On 31/07/2010 14:00, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Am 31.07.2010 13:30, schrieb jesse jaara:
>> The name and description of the arch-dev-public mailing list are
>> extreamly  misleading, for me personally the name and description tells that
>> the list is open for everyone to discuss about development of Arch Linux and
>> apps. This also makes me think that there must also be a closed mailing list
>> for the developers and USA government only, where they can discuss about
>> putting a spying app to every single arch box there is. :D
> There IS a closed list, and it used to be the only development list for
> quite some time. In March 2007, arch-dev-public was created and
> virtually all development talk moved there (traffic on arch-dev is very
> minimal, mainly discussions about server infrastructure and world
> domination).

I think Jesse is specifically asking why the arch-dev-public list is not open to everyone
to WRITE to. Other devs can correct me if I am wrong, but the rationale for making it
"read-only" to non-devs is to limit traffic to an acceptable level so that development
discussions can be conducted productively. The arch-general list is open to everyone and
all devs subscribe to it. But it is true that the "read-only" status of arch-dev-public
could be stated more clearly on http://mailman.archlinux.org/mailman/listinfo/, perhaps
changing it to something like:
"Public mailing list for Arch Linux development (read-only for non-devs)"