[arch-general] arch-dev-public misleading

Peter Lewis pete at muddygoat.org
Mon Aug 2 11:36:39 EDT 2010

On Monday 02 Aug 2010 at 15:50 Firmicus wrote:
>   On 31/07/2010 14:00, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> > Am 31.07.2010 13:30, schrieb jesse jaara:
> >> The name and description of the arch-dev-public mailing list are
> >> extreamly  misleading, for me personally the name and description tells
> >> that the list is open for everyone to discuss about development of Arch
> >> Linux and apps. This also makes me think that there must also be a
> >> closed mailing list for the developers and USA government only, where
> >> they can discuss about putting a spying app to every single arch box
> >> there is. :D
> >
> > There IS a closed list, and it used to be the only development list for
> > quite some time. In March 2007, arch-dev-public was created and
> > virtually all development talk moved there (traffic on arch-dev is very
> > minimal, mainly discussions about server infrastructure and world
> > domination).
>
> I think Jesse is specifically asking why the arch-dev-public list is not
> open to everyone to WRITE to. Other devs can correct me if I am wrong, but
> the rationale for making it "read-only" to non-devs is to limit traffic to
> an acceptable level so that development discussions can be conducted
> productively. The arch-general list is open to everyone and all devs
> subscribe to it. But it is true that the "read-only" status of
> arch-dev-public could be stated more clearly on
> http://mailman.archlinux.org/mailman/listinfo/, perhaps changing it to
> something like:
> "Public mailing list for Arch Linux development (read-only for non-devs)"

Yeah, if someone could be bothered, it might even make more sense to rename
them such that "arch-dev" is the publicly readable list and "arch-dev-private"
is the private one that no-one really knows about (or cares about). It's
probably too much hassle for too many people, but would make things look a bit
more obvious from a (non-dev) community member's perspective, while still also
making perfect sense to the devs.

I have to admit, I made the same mistake as Jesse when I first arrived in
Archland.

Pete.