[arch-general] Shouldn't pacman restart dovecot after update?

J. W. Birdsong jwbirdsong at jwbirdsong.homelinux.com
Tue Aug 3 00:52:45 EDT 2010

On 08/02/10 at 10:39pm, Tavian Barnes wrote:
> On 2 August 2010 22:00, David C. Rankin <drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:
> > Guys,
> >
> >        Sending mail from my local server resulted in errors "could not copy
> > sent mail to 'sent' on servername? Checking the mail logs, I found this:
> >
> > <snip>
> > Aug  2 17:15:03 nirvana dovecot: imap-login: Fatal: Dovecot version
> > mismatch: Master is v1.2.12, login is v1.2.13 (if you don't care, set
> > version_ignore=yes)
> > Aug  2 17:15:03 nirvana dovecot: imap-login: Fatal: Dovecot version
> > mismatch: Master is v1.2.12, login is v1.2.13 (if you don't care, set
> > version_ignore=yes)
> > <snip>
> >
> >        So I restarted dovecot -- problem solved. That brought up the
> > question, why didn't pacman restart dovecot with some post-install
> > something?? So should it have? If it didn't, does this need to be reported?
>
> Because of KISS?  Pacman is a package manager, not a system administration tool.
>
> Imagine the story with a different daemon: SSH.  You ssh into your
> box, su, and pacman -Syu.  Halfway through the upgrade, openssh gets
> updated, which automatically restarts the server, which SIGHUPs
> pacman, which is left in an inconsistent state.
>
> >        Let me know. Thanks.
> >
> > --
> > David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
> > Rankin Law Firm, PLLC
> > 510 Ochiltree Street
> > Nacogdoches, Texas 75961
> > Telephone: (936) 715-9333
> > Facsimile: (936) 715-9339
> > www.rankinlawfirm.com
> >

> --
> Tavian Barnes

Great point; but *we* could at least mention **Restart Dovecot with #/etc/rc.d/dovecot restart** (or some such msg)  in the dovecot.install file.    Because we know EVERYONE reads the pacman msg(s) after an install.   Regardless I think that is the solution best hoped for.  David perhaps a bug/feature request asking for same??