[arch-general] Shouldn't pacman restart dovecot after update?

Tavian Barnes tavianator at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 00:39:10 EDT 2010

On 2 August 2010 22:00, David C. Rankin <drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:
> Guys,
>
>        Sending mail from my local server resulted in errors "could not copy
> sent mail to 'sent' on servername? Checking the mail logs, I found this:
>
> <snip>
> Aug  2 17:15:03 nirvana dovecot: imap-login: Fatal: Dovecot version
> mismatch: Master is v1.2.12, login is v1.2.13 (if you don't care, set
> version_ignore=yes)
> Aug  2 17:15:03 nirvana dovecot: imap-login: Fatal: Dovecot version
> mismatch: Master is v1.2.12, login is v1.2.13 (if you don't care, set
> version_ignore=yes)
> <snip>
>
>        So I restarted dovecot -- problem solved. That brought up the
> question, why didn't pacman restart dovecot with some post-install
> something?? So should it have? If it didn't, does this need to be reported?

Because of KISS?  Pacman is a package manager, not a system administration tool.

Imagine the story with a different daemon: SSH.  You ssh into your
box, su, and pacman -Syu.  Halfway through the upgrade, openssh gets
updated, which automatically restarts the server, which SIGHUPs
pacman, which is left in an inconsistent state.

--
Tavian Barnes