[arch-general] Shouldn't pacman restart dovecot after update?

Peter Lewis pete at muddygoat.org
Tue Aug 3 05:14:44 EDT 2010

On Tuesday 03 Aug 2010 at 09:28 Magnus Therning wrote:
> > No useless "little 1-line notes" only ment for braindead users..  i
> > only want to see what i need to see.
>
> I doubt I'm as knowledgeable on Linux systems as you, so I'd rather
> like seeing a bit more messages than you need to see.

I have to admit that the recent dovecot update caught me out too for a few
minutes, until I realised that I'd had no new email for an eerie amount of
time.

But I don't think it's quite as simple as "there shouldn't be messages like
this" or that it's about "linux experience". In my experience, some packages
are affected differently than others when they are upgraded while running.

Here are three different examples in my anecdotal experience (details may be
incorrect):

- Dovecot: a running instance appears to totally break and need restarting.

- KDE: session needs restarting to run the new desktop, but the old one will
carry on running happily, possibly causing the occasional problem. Newly
launched apps are the new version (can lead to further problems).

- Firefox: everything seems fine to carry on fine. Restart the instance at
your leisure.

With a particular package, you've no idea which category this falls into.
Sure, you could apply the safest approach of always restarting everything
that's upgraded, but that's not always practical. IMO it would be nice to have
short indicators when something is likely to severely break until restarted. I
don't think that's overkill, it's just helpful.

Cheers,

Pete.