[arch-general] Shouldn't pacman restart dovecot after update?

Attila vodoo0904 at sonnenkinder.org
Tue Aug 3 15:40:20 EDT 2010

Okay, i recognized that i wrote too much under this little thread so set it on
read if this is too much for you.-)

The best compromise what i have seen is what zypper (package management tool for
opensuse) do in a case if libs or a daemon get changed.

After upgrading in such a case you get a warning that some apps point to deleted
files and that with a "zypper ps" you can get the list of them. The list itselfs
looks like this (from my memory):

PID | user   | file   | libs
101 | user1  | app1   | PATH/lib21.so.21
    |        |        | PATH/lib22.so.22
 99 | daemon | daemon | PATH/lib11.so.11
    |        |        | PATH/lib11.so.11
201 | root   | app2   | PATH/lib31.so.31
    |        |        | PATH/lib31.so.31

So the nice thing is that you even know if a logout or a restart of a daemon or
a reboot solves it. And the best is that you get the information not as the
output of the 73'st package from 125 packages, you get it at the end where the
attention could (or should be) the best.

I don't know if the rpm database helps here more than the one from pacman or how
this is realised. But at the end the most important point (which is even valid):
The question is even how much is the effort to realize such a "luxury" solution
and is it this worth. That is why i never wrote a feature request instead i
think this idea is very nice.-)

See you, Attila