[arch-general] Shouldn't pacman restart dovecot after update?

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Tue Aug 3 16:35:02 EDT 2010

Am Tue, 03 Aug 2010 21:40:20 +0200
schrieb Attila <vodoo0904 at sonnenkinder.org>:

> Okay, i recognized that i wrote too much under this little thread so
> set it on read if this is too much for you.-)

I must admit, that I didn't read this completely.

It's so simple and every Linux user should or must know this. If a
daemon or any other software is updated it must be restarted either to
use the new version or to get it working if the running version broken
by the update. And the config files need to be checked and customized
after every update.

That's a common and necessary task of a Linux admin which doesn't need
and in my opinion shouldn't be done by the package manager, because the
package manager can't decide which config files I need or want to
adjust and when I can and want to restart which daemon. Restarting
daemons automatically by the package manager can break a lot and can do
a lot more harm.

And there are definitely no messages from the package manager needed.

Just KISS and just a common and usual work of an admin. It just belongs
to the basic knowledge.

If a production server is updated then the users have to be informed
before the update.

Heiko