[arch-general] Shouldn't pacman restart dovecot after update?

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Tue Aug 3 16:48:48 EDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 03, 2010 at 10:35:02PM +0200, Heiko Baums wrote:

> It's so simple and every Linux user should or must know this. If a
> daemon or any other software is updated it must be restarted either to
> use the new version or to get it working if the running version broken
> by the update. And the config files need to be checked and customized
> after every update.
>
> That's a common and necessary task of a Linux admin which doesn't need
> and in my opinion shouldn't be done by the package manager, because the
> package manager can't decide which config files I need or want to
> adjust and when I can and want to restart which daemon. Restarting
> daemons automatically by the package manager can break a lot and can do
> a lot more harm.

I agree,

> And there are definitely no messages from the package manager needed.

Well, that depends. If a user is upgrading a package X explicitly then
he/she is probably anticipating the consequences, and has prepared for
them. If X is updated as a side effect that could be different, and a
warning would be good thing.

> Just KISS and just a common and usual work of an admin. It just belongs
> to the basic knowledge.

Again agreed. But some changes are quite invasive. Going from Xorg 1.7
to 1.8 without being prepared for it can hit you where it hurts. It
happened to me just a few days ago (all is OK now).

Ciao,

--
FA

There are three of them, and Alleline.