[arch-general] Shouldn't pacman restart dovecot after update?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Aug 4 01:06:53 EDT 2010

On 08/03/2010 04:14 AM, Peter Lewis wrote:
> With a particular package, you've no idea which category this falls into.
> Sure, you could apply the safest approach of always restarting everything
> that's upgraded, but that's not always practical. IMO it would be nice to have
> short indicators when something is likely to severely break until restarted. I
> don't think that's overkill, it's just helpful.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Pete.

Dieter,

	I get what you are saying and I agree. I don't want to see a multitude of
little 1-liners winking by every time I upgrade, but both Magnus and Pete have a
point. The general body of Arch users probably need to see a bit more info than
you do (no doubt I do), but Pete really puts in into context.

	For those apps where an upgrade is likely to render the app broken until a
restart, then I think that a one-liner is called for to help all of us that
aren't full time devs know what packages *must* be restarted after update so
that critical apps don't remain broken until something has risen to the level of
a problem.

	I look at this discussion is just a good thought process at how Arch can be
made more robust. Here setting the Arch standard for 1-liners and limiting them
to what you need to see + 1-liners for apps that will be rendered inoperative as
a result of an update just makes sense.  I'm sure the list of apps that would
need 1-liners from breakage after update are less than 10 so it wouldn't add
much chatter at all to the upgrade messages. For things like MTA's, web-servers
and the like adding them would just make Arch that much better.

	Maybe the Arch Santa will slip a few into his bag of presents this year. I've
been good -- I promise :p

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC