[arch-general] Shouldn't pacman restart dovecot after update?

Attila vodoo0904 at sonnenkinder.org
Wed Aug 4 01:07:40 EDT 2010

At Dienstag, 3. August 2010 22:59 Mario Figueiredo wrote:

> An argument can be made that this approach makes a rolling release less
> attractive to users who have invested heavily in the supported
> repositories. I heard this much just recently from a former Arch user;
> The possibility of an an unpdate resulting in a post-update maintenance
> nightmare to get the machine up and running again can be a little scary.

I don't think that the principle of rolling releases support such mistakes more
than as you use another distribution. You only move the timepoint more in the
future but if such a distribution do the step from at example A to B than you
have to do this "nightmare" search of changed config files for all packages.

That's all because mistakes are even possible instead no one wants to make them.
I think, and this is more my experience, that you will get a lot of more stories
about updates in archlinux which runs without a problem instead the list of
packages was enormous.

See you, Attila