[arch-general] my intro

Chris Brannon cmbrannon79 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 8 09:32:41 EDT 2010

"David C. Rankin" <drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com> writes:

> 	Seriously, what tools are available that, I guess in some
> sense, must speak the prompts so you know what's going on?

These tools are known as screenreaders.  They usually provide at least
two functions:
1. Speak text as it appears, and
2. Allow the user to manually review the contents of the screen.

> 	The only thing I can think of is some type of modification to
> the prompt that would process the prompt though an OCR utility and
> then to a text-to-speech app,

It's simpler than that.  No OCR is involved, since the text is
already machine-readable.

> but what about before that setup is
> installed? That's pretty amazing and sounds like some cool technology.

The software is available on my custom ISO image.  The system starts
talking shortly after someone boots a machine with a CD or USB stick
containing that image.  He or she does the install, taking care to add
some extra packages at the end of the process.  After rebooting from the
HD, the system should start speaking.

-- Chris
Website: http://the-brannons.com/