[arch-general] script to reformat 'pacman -Ss' output into 2 readable columns (prevents blindness)

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Tue Aug 10 16:46:45 EDT 2010

On 08/05/2010 10:51 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I developed a script to help me read the output of pacman -Ss in 2 nicely
> formatted columns. The output of 'pacman -Ss srchterm' drives me nuts trying to
> read down the package names and descriptions with all the tab indented and
> wrapped text -- so I fixed it. Download the script here:
>
> http://www.3111skyline.com/dl/Archlinux/scripts/srch2list.sh

<snip>

> Enjoy.

I have played with the script a bit more so it provides the option to only show
installed or uninstalled packages to minimize the stuff to look through. The
current options to the script are:

     NOTE: options can be given in any order, flags must be separate: '-d -z'
NOT '-dz'

     -c | --color           disable the use of an accent color for pkgnames.
     -d | --double          option controls single/double spaced output.
     -h | --help            display this help message.
     -i | --installed       show only installed packages.
     -u | --uninstalled     show only uninstalled packages.
     -w | --write filename  write search results to 'filename'.
     -z | --zenity          provide graphical output using 'zenity --list'
(requires zenity)

   Two additional testing options (no effect on script):

     -v | --verbose         dump select variables to the screen.
     -a | --array           dump the array contents to the screen (requires -v
option)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC