[arch-general] script to reformat 'pacman -Ss' output into 2 readable columns (prevents blindness)

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Tue Aug 10 18:29:37 EDT 2010

On 08/10/2010 03:46 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> On 08/05/2010 10:51 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
>> Guys,
>>
>> I developed a script to help me read the output of pacman -Ss in 2 nicely
>> formatted columns. The output of 'pacman -Ss srchterm' drives me nuts trying to
>> read down the package names and descriptions with all the tab indented and
>> wrapped text -- so I fixed it. Download the script here:
>>
>> http://www.3111skyline.com/dl/Archlinux/scripts/srch2list.sh
>>
> <snip>
>>
>> Enjoy.
>>

> I have played with the script a bit more so it provides the option to only show
> installed or uninstalled packages to minimize the stuff to look through. The
> current options to the script are:

> NOTE: options can be given in any order, flags must be separate: '-d -z' NOT '-dz'
>
> -c | --color disable the use of an accent color for pkgnames.
> -d | --double option controls single/double spaced output.
> -h | --help display this help message.
> -i | --installed show only installed packages.
> -u | --uninstalled show only uninstalled packages.
> -w | --write filename write search results to 'filename'.
> -z | --zenity provide graphical output using 'zenity --list' (requires zenity)
>
> Two additional testing options (no effect on script):
>
> -v | --verbose dump select variables to the screen.
> -a | --array dump the array contents to the screen (requires -v option)

Version 0.0.4

   Changelog:

   - No functional changes - code clean up moving output routine to a function
     for readability.

   Todo:

   - Capture zenity package selection so selected packages can be automatically
     installed. (basically provide: pacman -Sy 'selected packages')

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC