[arch-general] PulseAudio in [extra]

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Tue Aug 17 10:43:24 EDT 2010

Hi Jan,

I saw your plan, <http://gist.github.com/444917>, regarding moving
pulseaudio to the extra repository, and I was curious if it is still
going forward? I'm using PA with KDE myself, and would be happy to
help with anything in order to move the packages to extra.

I noticed two things about your plan:

1) the package pavumeter is listed as out-of-date/obsolete here:
<http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/AboutPulseAudio#RelatedSoftware>. So
maybe it is not worth moving it to [extra]?

2) In order to make KDE work with PA, "kdemultimedia" and "phonon"
have to be recompiled with PA support turned on. In case PA is
disabled or not installed, the programs degrade nicely to the old
(ALSA) behavior. So no need to maintain separate packages.

On a side-note, there is currently a bug that causes
Phonon+Gstreamer+PA to misbehave (particularily in Amarok), this is
fixed upstream and everything should work well once gst-good 0.10.24
has been packaged.

Cheers,

Tom