[arch-general] PulseAudio in [extra]

Ng Oon-Ee ngoonee at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 14:04:16 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-08-17 at 16:43 +0200, Tom Gundersen wrote:
> Hi Jan,
>
> I saw your plan, <http://gist.github.com/444917>, regarding moving
> pulseaudio to the extra repository, and I was curious if it is still
> going forward? I'm using PA with KDE myself, and would be happy to
> help with anything in order to move the packages to extra.
>
> I noticed two things about your plan:
>
> 1) the package pavumeter is listed as out-of-date/obsolete here:
> <http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/AboutPulseAudio#RelatedSoftware>. So
> maybe it is not worth moving it to [extra]?
>
> 2) In order to make KDE work with PA, "kdemultimedia" and "phonon"
> have to be recompiled with PA support turned on. In case PA is
> disabled or not installed, the programs degrade nicely to the old
> (ALSA) behavior. So no need to maintain separate packages.
>
> On a side-note, there is currently a bug that causes
> Phonon+Gstreamer+PA to misbehave (particularily in Amarok), this is
> fixed upstream and everything should work well once gst-good 0.10.24
> has been packaged.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tom

I remember that that was previously mentioned as well. Point 1) above is
correct. I'm also interested to help (mainly with testing and
bug-hunting related stuff) as I use pulseaudio as well. Upstream has not
released in a while, but from what I hear on their ML that should happen
once the main dev gets back from another project.