[arch-general] did kdemod-legacy repo go away?

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Tue Aug 17 11:34:02 EDT 2010

On 08/17/2010 09:45 AM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I must have missed a note advising that the kdemod-legacy repo was
> removed from the pacman repos. Every time I update I get the following
> error:
>
> error: failed retrieving file 'kdemod-legacy.db.tar.gz' from
> chakra-project.org : Not Found
> error: failed to update kdemod-legacy (Not Found)
>
> So is it true? Is it gone for good? If so, it would be a sad epitaph on
> the desktops head-stone. ("Killed at its prime")
>
> Currently,(at least before 2 days ago) kdemod-legacy installed perfectly
> with the only updates required being libjpeg, libpng and poppler-qt3 -
> all available at AUR and with it taking less than 1.7G of static space
> on a drive, seems like it would make Arch a much more robust distro to
> continue the offering and list is as an asset rather than having an
> empty check mark in the "KDE3 available" column.
>
> What's the scoop?

I don't know the official scoop.  But I saw this happen the other day
too, and after poking around I discovered that the mirror I use (RIT)
had the packages in an "archives" directory:

[kdemod-legacy]
Server = http://mirror.rit.edu/kdemod/archive/kdemod-legacy/x86_64

That said, though, I think it's fair to say that you shouldn't count on
these KDE3 packages being around - or working - for much longer.
(Unless the Trinity project starts to make significant progress /
traction soon.)

HTH,

DR