[arch-general] gnome-keyring and ssh without login manager

Ray Rashif schivmeister at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 06:47:04 EDT 2010

2010/8/19 Sebastian Köhler <sebkoehler at whoami.org.uk>:
> Why do you need nm-applet? If it is just about the autoconnect stuff you
> should have a look at <http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Netcfg>.

Choice of tool is a separate issue :)

This is a "promiscuous" system, i.e I will take it with me all around
the world and plug it into all sorts of machines. As such, I need
support for all sorts of mobile phones, 3G modems, ADSL and VPN. I
myself have a Motorola ROKR E8, Huawei E220, Huawei
<somethingelseidontremember>, and currently in foreign land connected
to a very unreliable burst-mode ADSL.

NetworkManager + NetworkManager Applet is the only combination of
tools that has passed my tests for this.

> For unlocking ssh keys at login I use pam_ssh which ask for the ssh key
> password at login time and fires up ssh-agent after that.

Ahh, thanks. Actually, I skipped that from the start because I didn't
want any prompts before the WM started, and it didn't occur to that
it'd work since there's no normal login prompt with this setup (root
auto-logs-in for user).

I guess I'll stick to X11-ssh-askpass.

--
GPG/PGP ID: B42DDCAD