[arch-general] gnome-keyring and ssh without login manager

Sebastian Köhler sebkoehler at whoami.org.uk
Thu Aug 19 06:30:25 EDT 2010

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 09:57:44AM +0800, Ray Rashif wrote:
> On a newly-set-up "promiscuous USB" system, I've chosen to skip a DE,
> and ultimately also forewent a login manager. Normally, I'd be happy
> with an askpass client, but I've noticed that I cannot do without
> nm-applet on this installation, and consequently have ended up with
> gnome-keyring installed alongside as well. So I thought, hey, I could
> make use of that thing, like I make use of kwallet with ksshaskpass on
> a KDE system.
>
> Unfortunately, after some headache-inducing trial-and-errors, it
> occurs to me as if this is fat hope. The technical background is as
> follows:
>
> 1) Openbox WM only + pcmanfm for desktop management
>
> 2) X is autostarted on bootup via su/inittab
>
> 3) nm-applet autoconnects to my desired WiFi without any kind of
> prompting (though it did ask for a password to set up a new key the
> first time)

Why do you need nm-applet? If it is just about the autoconnect stuff you
should have a look at <http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Netcfg>.

> 4) gnome-keyring does not appear to be running post-startup (so we can
> assume nm-applet calls it on demand only)
>
> I do know that at least one similar issue with regards to having a
> login manager, "realtime", is worked around by having the following in
> /etc/pam.d/su:
>
> session         required        pam_limits.so
>
> So I tried something akin to that with the gnome_keyring.so stuff, to no avail.
>
> Any chance? You tell me.

For unlocking ssh keys at login I use pam_ssh which ask for the ssh key
password at login time and fires up ssh-agent after that.

--
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only
off by a bit.