[arch-general] restore hdd image to a bigger disk

Marek Otahal markotahal at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 15:14:24 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I use dd command to make an image of entire /dev/sda (160GB) and back up it as
netobook.hdd to an external storage. The disk contains both
encrypted(dmcrypt/luks) and normal linux/win partitions.

My question is, if my netbook died and I needed to recover from backup, can I
just dd-copy the image to a new larger disk? Does it matter?

1/ it will do, but the size will remain 160gb ..is ok.
2/ will do & possibility to resize partitions later ..even better! :)

I've searched the net, but I'd like someone to confirm it 100% works (just dd
and reboot).

Thanks in advance, Marek

--

Marek Otahal :o)