[arch-general] restore hdd image to a bigger disk

Flavio Costa flavio.cdc at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 15:35:20 EDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 4:14 PM, Marek Otahal <markotahal at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I use dd command to make an image of entire /dev/sda (160GB) and back up it
> as
> netobook.hdd to an external storage. The disk contains both
> encrypted(dmcrypt/luks) and normal linux/win partitions.
>
> My question is, if my netbook died and I needed to recover from backup, can
> just dd-copy the image to a new larger disk? Does it matter?
>
> 1/ it will do, but the size will remain 160gb ..is ok.
> 2/ will do & possibility to resize partitions later ..even better! :)
>
> I've searched the net, but I'd like someone to confirm it 100% works (just
> dd
> and reboot).
>
> Thanks in advance, Marek
>
> --
>
> Marek Otahal :o)

The destination drive must have a greater or equal capacity, otherwise you
will probably lose data / get a corrupt filesystem.
After the dd finishes you can use any program that messes with partitions to
resize it, in case the disk is bigger.

I can confirm that this simply works, no trick needed.
I've done it dozens of times.

--
Flávio Coutinho da Costa