[arch-general] intel pageflipping and xorg-server 1.9 [was Re: kde 4.5.0]

Stefano Avallone stavallo at unina.it
Thu Aug 26 19:22:44 EDT 2010

On Friday 27 August 2010 00:15:15 Stefano Avallone wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 August 2010 19:05:46 Andrea Scarpino wrote:
> > On Wednesday 18 August 2010 11:06:43 Ronald van Haren wrote:
> > > so far I've seen people reporting the following chipsets to be
> > > affected, but there may be others
> > > intel 910
> > > intel 945
> > > intel 965
> > > ati 3450
> >
> > After the update to Xorg 1.9 I had to disable compositing (editing
> > ~/.kde4/share/config/kwinrc). I own an intel gm45 chipset.
>
> I tried to update to xorg, mesa and intel video driver from [unstable],
> too, and found kde unusable with compositing enabled (huge flickering).
> So, I reverted all the stack back to [extra]. I own an intel gm45 chipset,
> too.
>
> Stefano

I updated again xorg-server and mesa from [unstable] and compiled myself xf86-
video-intel by re-introducing the patch to disable page-flipping. Now I can
use kde with compositing on xorg server 1.9 and no flickering occurs...

Something should have been changed in the X server between 1.8 and 1.9 that
breaks pageflipping. So far, I was using xorg-server 1.8 with a self-compiled
xf86-video-intel with pageflipping-enabled with (almost) no problems...

Stefano