[arch-general] 1. Re: version control system for normal user (Magnus Therning)

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Sat Aug 28 12:14:22 EDT 2010

Excerpts from C Anthony Risinger's message of 2010-08-28 17:21:21 +0200:
> On Aug 28, 2010, at 9:12 AM, Johannes Held <mail at hehejo.de> wrote:
> > git does really support my way of coding. BUT perhaps I've changed
> > my style of
> > coding to match git? Who knows. …
>
> The thing I think people have the most problems with is the fact that
> git is less of a VCS itself, and more of a _toolkit_ to design your
> own workflow.  It originally was, and very much still is, a simple
> content addressable datastore, that happens to have some conveinence
> layers making it a good DVCS.
>
> It's data model it crazy simple, and supports pretty much any workflow
> a project or user could concieve (merge/rebase/multi-repo/multi-branch/
> hooks+validators/etc.)
>
> Most will only use a handful of commands/concepts, but as a tool you
> will need to use everyday (as a developer), one quickly grows to
> appreciate it's flexibility.
>
>    C Anthony [mobile]

Finally someone who doesn't use his mobile as excuse for top posting :)

I'm not very experienced as code, I pretty much just started my first
own project of a size to speak of, and I started using git.
I think using a VCS alone can change your workflow.
I feel bad each time I have to write a commit message after I have made
a bunch of unrelated changes. That alone might, with time, lead me to
concentrate on a single thing.

On the other hand I might learn how to use the staging area and keep
hacking on stuff as I see it. I haven't found my workflow yet, but I
won't switch back to no VCS for sure.
--
Philipp

--
"Wir stehen selbst enttäuscht und sehn betroffen / Den Vorhang zu
und alle Fragen offen." Bertolt Brecht, Der gute Mensch von Sezuan