[arch-general] 1. Re: version control system for normal user (Magnus Therning)

C Anthony Risinger anthony at extof.me
Sat Aug 28 11:21:21 EDT 2010

On Aug 28, 2010, at 9:12 AM, Johannes Held <mail at hehejo.de> wrote:
> git does really support my way of coding. BUT perhaps I've changed
> my style of
> coding to match git? Who knows. …

The thing I think people have the most problems with is the fact that
git is less of a VCS itself, and more of a _toolkit_ to design your
own workflow.  It originally was, and very much still is, a simple
content addressable datastore, that happens to have some conveinence
layers making it a good DVCS.

It's data model it crazy simple, and supports pretty much any workflow
a project or user could concieve (merge/rebase/multi-repo/multi-branch/
hooks+validators/etc.)

Most will only use a handful of commands/concepts, but as a tool you
will need to use everyday (as a developer), one quickly grows to
appreciate it's flexibility.

   C Anthony [mobile]