[arch-general] alsa, hdmi, and the invisible magic output

Samuel Martín Moro faust64 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 12:41:31 EST 2010

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 10:31 AM, Philipp Überbacher
<hollunder at lavabit.com>wrote:

> Excerpts from Samuel Martín Moro's message of 2010-12-03 01:45:14 +0100:
> > I added this .asoundrc:
> >
> > pcm.!default {
> > type hw
> > card 0
> > }
> >
> > ctl.!default {
> > type hw
> > card 0
> > }
> >
> > It fixed at least a problem: I've no more warning about
> snd_pcm_dmix_open.
> > But, still no sound while banshee's operating...
>
> I don't know the .asoundrc syntax but as far as I can tell you should
> tell your programs to use a dmix device instead of hw:something. dmix
> means software mixing while hw:something means the program uses the
> device exclusively.
>
> If that doesn't work you could try PA.
>
> Good luck.

I have now the following:

pcm.card0 {
   type plug
   slave.pcm "dmix"
   hint {
      show on
      description "My dmix output"
   }
}

ctl.mixer0 {
   type hw
   card 0
}

I also tried replacing slave.pcm "dmix" of card0 by "dmixer", defining the
following:
pcm.dmixer {
  type dmix
  ipc_key 2048
  slave {
    pcm "hw:0,1"
    period_time 0
    period_size 1024
    buffer_size 4096
    rate 48000
  }
  bindings {
    0 0
    1 1
  }
}

None of them fixed the problem.
And I'm still not sure I'm calling the good output (the second test uses
hw0,1, the first one does not specify it)
But there's nothing coming out of my TV anymore.

Also, when trying to open a file with alsaplayer, if vlc or banshee are
already playing something, that error pops out:

ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1018:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
snd_pcm_open: Device or resource busy (plug:dmix)
[...]
NOTE: THIS IS THE NULL PLUGIN. YOU WILL NOT HEAR SOUND!!

I don't understand.
As far as I remember, I was always able to play a game while watching a
video and/or playing music.
What happends?

--
Samuel Martín Moro