[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] nilfs-utils moving in core

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Wed Dec 8 10:25:34 EST 2010

On Wed, 8 Dec 2010 08:56:24 -0500
Dave Reisner <d at falconindy.com> wrote:

> I highly doubt that this was _ever_ a question of size in the repos.
> More likely, It's a matter of time vs. gain for a small number of
> volunteers. If you're a user who knows that they want a particular
> exotic filesystem that isn't widely used, you the user, on this very
> day, have the following exciting options including but not limited to:
>
> 1) dont use AIF. not to sleight Dieter, but there's more ways to
> install Arch than just by using AIF.
> 2) format and mount the partitions yourself, convince AIF that this
> has been done, and continue installing as you like, with AIF. I've
> done this before with btrfs, as have others.

The topic has nothing to do with any of the above.
The problem is that if you use an archiso image, it only contains the
core repo, so you can't install the nilfs-utils package (or
btrfs-progs) during the installation, unless you fetch it from a mirror
over the network.

> 3) use Archboot, which supports a wider range of packages.

that seems true.  But for archiso (the official media) I want to come
up with a proper, solid solution. That solution can be putting the
package in core or even adding the non-core package to included repo on
the archiso images, but the important thing for me is that us, arch
devs understand the problem, and that we have a good, agreed explanation
for whatever outcome we decide.

Dieter