[arch-general] We want to help

C Anthony Risinger anthony at extof.me
Tue Dec 14 13:23:26 EST 2010

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 12:12 PM, C Anthony Risinger <anthony at extof.me> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 7:14 AM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
>>>  * git://ius.student.utwente.nl/aur2 -- Thralas's repository
>>>  * git://git.berlios.de/aur2 -- Djszapi's repository
>>>  * git://github.com/SpeedVin/aur2.git -- SpeedVin's AUR2 forked repo
>>> with some patches and translation's.
>>
>> I'll add "AUR3" to the mix... -
>> https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=99839
>
> i haven't made any release or update to BBS (or README :-) in some
> time, but a fair amount of work + thought has gone into this.  if
> you'd like, check out the 'pmvc-refactor' branch here:
>
> https://github.com/extofme/aur-pyjs/tree/pmvc-refactor
>
> it will be the path forward, and is based on the lightweight puremvc
> framework to add a little sanity.  i encourage you to take a look, as
> the code is remarkably small, fast, free of any HTML/compatibility
> nuances, but still leverages the full power of the most advanced GUI
> available... a web browser, an excellent language... python, and a
> competent widget library based on GWT.  it's a fully client side
> javascript (or python-DOM) application requiring nothing from the
> server (or a local daemon...) other than JSON-RPC endpoints, which can
> be implemented in any language.
>
> the entire GUI is reusable in desktop mode (python bindings to DOM).
> everything is hot pluggable at runtime, right down to the core and
> shell.  users will in time be able to make any layout change they
> wish.  the slight stagnation on this project is only due to me working
> on pyjamas itself to support runtime hot-loading of python modules via
> AJAX... ie. variable/conditional imports... to enable dependency
> injection (of AUR modules), [more] efficient bootstrap and runtime,
> and other dynamicisms.
>
> currently, local PKGBUILD database expected to be dulwich/git based,
> to easily support forking/etc of PKGBUILDs, but im also considering
> couchdb (the couchdb python API could be ported to pyjs... then i
> could make parallel databases calls via iframe proxies DIRECTLY from
> the browser!!). the ultimate idea is a distributed AUR.
>
> im not in a hurry to complete it, as i have some far reaching goals,
> but it is very much active and open for input.  in short, this message
> is a shameless self-promotion, but i believe the approach holds more
> potential than existing solutions, simpler extensibility, and a lower
> barrier of entry to non web/HTML/CSS/Javascript/.../.../... (have you
> ever wrote a good webapp before? sheesh...) developers.

oops i forgot to mention an interesting thing ill be adding soon...

i managed to integrate the google translate API into pyjs, so i can
make translation calls.  the idea will be to dynamically determine the
users language at runtime and translate everything on the fly,
comments and all.  i want users to be able to write comments etc. in
their native language (and be stored this way), and everyone still
able to read each other.  as i unfortunately can only speak english
(curse you USA grade school system!), i can't speak for other langs,
but the google translation works very well for conversion to english,
far more than enough to understand the text... i even managed to set
up a CNAME in DNS with a spanish CSR/company once, using translation
on the fly :-)

also, instead of git/couchdb, im also considering using the local
database of HTML5, which is sqlite3 based i believe, though i'm not as
sure the limitations here.  the benefit is that it keeps everything in
the bowser, making the AUR fully self contained and able to run as an
offline app.

C Anthony