[arch-general] We want to help

C Anthony Risinger anthony at extof.me
Tue Dec 14 14:14:45 EST 2010

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 12:39 PM, Tomás Acauan Schertel
<tschertel at gmail.com> wrote:
> You've done a great job Anthony. Your app is a all-in-one!
> Our focus is (was) create a better AUR, with new features and using
> other platform (from php to django). I think your focus is a little
> different, isn't?

well, the immediate focus is to create a better AUR, feature
complete++ to the current one, but with the additional goal of
eventually decoupling it from a client-server model, and ultimately
from archlinux altogether.  i have some ideas about a 100%
"distributed distribution", but that's neither here nor there :-).

so no, not really.  i intend to create a sweet AUR.   the AUR really
stood out when i came to archlinux, and set it apart from others; it's
highly related to my own research and interests, and in general just
needs an overhaul.

the benefit to the pyjs approach is 100% client side operation, so it
can run without online access.  additionally, the python-DOM version
(or the pyjs version if proxying thru a local daemon) could
potentially direct install from the website, leading to "install now"
functionality.  lastly, python means you could use the same lang to
write the front end and the backend, and communicate using JSON
messages.

but yeah in the medium run, i'd like to see archlinux.org function as
a simple state tracker, linking users together, and letting them share
and manage their own PKGBUILD repositories.  in the long run,
archlinux.org is dropped altogether, and the AUR is completely P2P.

as a professional web applications developer by day, i can vouch that
writing webapps requires knowledge of about 4 different haphazardly
implemented "standards", requiring far to much painfully acquired
knowledge.  by using a library like pyjamas, you allow anyone with
python experience to write incredibly functional plugins/modules, and
share maintenance load.  django is a great platform, but after i
discovered pyjamas about 1yr ago, i haven't looked back, and am
convinced that compiler technology is the only sane way to develop
complex and maintainable web-based applications.

C Anthony