[arch-general] new dmraid install - grub installed fine - boot fails to find root filesystem - dropped to [ramfs /]# ?

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Thu Dec 16 12:42:02 EST 2010

Am 16.12.2010 03:30, schrieb David C. Rankin:
> Waiting 10 seconds for device /dev/mapper/nvidia_haheegdbp6 ...
>
> Root device '/dev/mapper/nvidia_haheegdbp6' doesn't exist. Attempting to create it.
>
> ERROR: Unable to determine major/minor number of root device
> '/dev/mapper/nvidia_haheegdbp6'
>
> You are being dropped to a recovery shell
>
> Type 'exit' to try and continue booting
>
> /bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
>
> [ ramfs \ ]#

You have an almost fully functional system in that ramfs environment.
Look at the output of 'ls -l /dev/mapper' to see if the devices are
indeed missing.

Look at 'ls -l /dev/sd*' to see if your hard drives even show up. If
they do, try to issue 'dmraid -ay' again and see if the /dev/mapper
devices show up now.

This might just be a timing problem: dmraid -ay might be called before
/dev/sd* is fully set up and detected - we had these problems in the
past already. The 'sleep' hook put after the udev hook can work around that.

If it isn't a timing problem, then your hard drives are probably not
detected. The reasons for this can be manifold, but it never hurts to
try if the fallback image shows the same behaviour.