[arch-general] new dmraid install - grub installed fine - boot fails to find root filesystem - dropped to [ramfs /]# ?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Thu Dec 16 13:19:07 EST 2010

On 12/16/2010 11:42 AM, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Am 16.12.2010 03:30, schrieb David C. Rankin:
>> Waiting 10 seconds for device /dev/mapper/nvidia_haheegdbp6 ...
>>
>> Root device '/dev/mapper/nvidia_haheegdbp6' doesn't exist. Attempting to create it.
>>
>> ERROR: Unable to determine major/minor number of root device
>> '/dev/mapper/nvidia_haheegdbp6'
>>
>> You are being dropped to a recovery shell
>>
>> Type 'exit' to try and continue booting
>>
>> /bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
>>
>> [ ramfs \ ]#
>
> You have an almost fully functional system in that ramfs environment.
> Look at the output of 'ls -l /dev/mapper' to see if the devices are
> indeed missing.
>
> Look at 'ls -l /dev/sd*' to see if your hard drives even show up. If
> they do, try to issue 'dmraid -ay' again and see if the /dev/mapper
> devices show up now.
>
> This might just be a timing problem: dmraid -ay might be called before
> /dev/sd* is fully set up and detected - we had these problems in the
> past already. The 'sleep' hook put after the udev hook can work around that.
>
> If it isn't a timing problem, then your hard drives are probably not
> detected. The reasons for this can be manifold, but it never hurts to
> try if the fallback image shows the same behaviour.

Thank you Thomas, I'll go give it a try and report back. In the mean time, I
have updated:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installing_with_Fake_RAID#Install_GRUB

with some additional detail to help people with the install. I just filled in
the spots where there were a few gaps in the steps that could leave you
scratching your head if you hadn't done it before. Please take a look and make
sure it is OK. Thanks.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC