[arch-general] dmraid install failure (new thread)

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Thu Dec 16 14:30:19 EST 2010

Sorry for the new thread, but I'm at the office and the 'leave message of
server' in Tbird didn't work :(

Sir Thomas wrote:
 >Am 16.12.2010 03:30, schrieb David C. Rankin:
 >> > Waiting 10 seconds for device /dev/mapper/nvidia_haheegdbp6 ...
 >> >
 >> > Root device '/dev/mapper/nvidia_haheegdbp6' doesn't exist. Attempting to
 >create it.
 >> >
 >> > ERROR: Unable to determine major/minor number of root device
 >> > '/dev/mapper/nvidia_haheegdbp6'
 >> >
 >> > You are being dropped to a recovery shell
 >> >
 >> > Type 'exit' to try and continue booting
 >> >
 >> > /bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
 >> >
 >> > [ ramfs \ ]#
 >You have an almost fully functional system in that ramfs environment.
 >Look at the output of 'ls -l /dev/mapper' to see if the devices are
 >indeed missing.

Yep, but the issue is I haven't the foggies about what I can and can't do with
the ramfs prompt. However, I think I have some additional information that will
help.

 >Look at 'ls -l /dev/sd*' to see if your hard drives even show up. If
 >they do, try to issue 'dmraid -ay' again and see if the /dev/mapper
 >devices show up now.

All of the drives are there and you can see them with cat /proc/partitions. I
tried recreating the arrays with 'dmraid -ay' but 'dmraid' isn't found. So it
looks like it either wasn't installed (hard to believe because I install just
about everything exept firmware stuff in the initial package selectioni), or for
some reason the initramfs was made to include them. My guess is that it wasn't
installed to begin with because dmraid should be there if it was.

I'll go back and chroot the environment and see what happened to dmraid and
report back. I'll bet that fixes it. Then the question becomes "Why wasn't
dmraid installed to begin with?"

Only 2 possible answers: (1) stupidity (never ruled out); or (2) a bug.

I'll let you know. Thanks for your help.

 >This might just be a timing problem: dmraid -ay might be called before
 >/dev/sd* is fully set up and detected - we had these problems in the
 >past already. The 'sleep' hook put after the udev hook can work around that.
 >
I>f it isn't a timing problem, then your hard drives are probably not
d>etected. The reasons for this can be manifold, but it never hurts to

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC