[arch-general] dmraid install failure (new thread)

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Thu Dec 16 15:28:02 EST 2010

On 12/16/2010 01:30 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> I'll go back and chroot the environment and see what happened to dmraid and
> report back. I'll bet that fixes it. Then the question becomes "Why wasn't
> dmraid installed to begin with?"
>
> Only 2 possible answers: (1) stupidity (never ruled out); or (2) a bug.
>
> I'll let you know. Thanks for your help.

Oh, the shame.....

The answer: (1)

I remembered the modules line in both rc.conf and mkinitcpio.conf, but
overlooked the all important HOOKS line. (at that point last night, it was a
"forest for the trees" issue and no amount of additional work would help)

Not all was lost. The wiki page got a bit of sprucing up and I learned a bit
more about the ramfs prompt -- although I hope I don't see it again for a while...

After correcting the hooks like and remaking the kernel and fallback images, the
box boots like a champ.

Sorry for the noise, but at this point, we have 1 more Arch box in the herd and
only 3 more suse boxes to convert. 9 down, 3 to go :)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC